Location and history Rusenski Lom
Koshov Village is located in the Danube plain on the left bank of the river Cherni Lom on the ancient road leading to the historic fortress of the village Cherven to the big Danube river frontier. To the north and east it borders upon the villages of Ivanovo and Bojichen and east - to the village of Shtraklevo. The village is located 29 km from Ruse in a small valley, naturally protected from the northeast to the hills and a chain of rocks. Millions of years of limestone was destroyed from the water of the river, deeply cut its bed. Gorge, which rocks reach an average of 30 to 40 meters, and in places up to 100 m height looks like a narrow, rough rocky corridor. The gorge is a picturesque and interesting with its odd formations peculiar weathering of rocks, with numerous cave openings and niches where their nests are starlings, sparrows and other representatives of the bird world.
The area along the river Cherni Lom was inhabited since ancient times. Information on prehistoric settlement there is not, but we have sought the natural protection of the rocky pinnacles. Thracians have left their monuments and Romans. The Slavs along with Bulgarians put the beginning of the Bulgarian history in these areas closely linked to the fate of Metropolitan medieval town Cherven, second after the throne Veliko Tarnovo. Since the Second Bulgarian Empire are numerous rock houses also, churches and monasteries used as hermits' cells, chapels and a safe haven, especially in the Turkish raids in the 14th century. Since Koshov is located 7 km from the rock-hewn churches of Ivanovo declared as protected site by UNESCO, it certainly connects with her historic destiny.
In one Sultan Register of 1431 year occurs the name of the village – basket (Koshova). In another document from the 16th century (1591 year) also mentions the village basket(Koshova).
The name of the settlement is indicated in the Turkish documents from the 15th century as basket (Koshova), and in 1734 year as Koshov. There are four l. According to the first name comes from the type of place where the village is located - a valley surrounded by cliffs and steeps as in a basket. According to the second legend, in the surrounding woods bred many hinds as today can be found on the land of the village. The third legend says that many people knit lots of baskets. The most reliable is the fourth story. The village had a mill, which worked with a large wicker basket in which the farmers placed the grain. Locals and Yabandjiite called it "the village with baskets" and hence - Koshov. According to the Researchers the folk etymology is incorrect that traces the origin of the name of hind (Koshuta) or over the rock hind (Koshuta) with artificial grotto and monastery.